books
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AltGaming Forum Index -> General Off-Topic'ness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been reading 1984 for my a level, it's really interesting but a bit too depressing for my liking. also the bell jar and the color purple are two of my all-time favourite books. two others that aren't quite novels but i keep going back to them are the tao te ching, which is kinda like the bible for taoists, and the little prince by some french dude, the cover makes it look like a children's book but it's very philiosophical and i love it.
AG Staff Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.

You find 1984 too depressing, but Sylvia Plath is the author of one of your favourite books?

I don't want to sound condescending or patronising when saying this, as it's a genuine question, but could you go into detail on how a science fiction book is too depressing for you, but you love the story of a woman's journey into madness and dispair?

Again, I'd like to state that's not a dig at you. I just find that a fascinating thing to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a fair question. i just suppose it's because i've been at personal lows(though not as extreme) similar to those in the bell jar, so i felt i could relate to it in a way. whereas the dystopian society of 1984 just shocked me as it was a concept i've never really given much thought to, the only time i've ever come across the term 'nanny state' was when i was ranting against the smoking ban Laughing i suppose orwell's novel depressed me more because it was less familiar.
AG Staff Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fair enough, I suppose. I have a similar softspot for Prozac Nation. Everyone else finds Wurtzel self-indulgent, bleak and egocentric, but I will always have a softspot for it.

Haven't read 1984 in a while. Must look at it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Hicks wrote:
That's fair enough, I suppose. I have a similar softspot for Prozac Nation. Everyone else finds Wurtzel self-indulgent, bleak and egocentric, but I will always have a softspot for it.

Haven't read 1984 in a while. Must look at it again.

self-indulgence is always a good thing! i've been thinking about that comment on 1984 and i think the right words are frightening and disheartening more than depressing.
Director/Co-Founder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Intelligent discussion of literature on an internet forum!

Miracles do happen! Smile

I've been meaning to pick up the Da Vinci code - how good is it?

Now Playing:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (XB) / Resident Evil 4 (GC) / Yoshi Touch & Go (DS)
pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james, let me put it this way, your opinion of da vinci code will be almost purely based on wether or not you have a high threshold for bullshit
Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved the Da Vinci code, though i must insist you red the book its a sequel to Smile

Angles and Devils
backdrifter
AG Staff Writer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell today. Fantastic read from start to finish.

Now I've started the second Space Odyssey book, 2010. The first is one of my favourites, so ive got high hopes.
Michael
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on the last half of the last book in the Wind on Fire tirlogy, they fucking rock
daffykyle
AltGaming Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a reading maniac in the last four weeks, have read 6 books now, not so good when i have uni finals etc but will get over it!

And backdrifter with regards to down and out in paris and london i must say its probably one of my favourite books i've ever read, well ahead of its time!
Gary.Flavell
AltGaming Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Vinci Code is terribly overrated, whilst I fully support any piece of literature that is anti-Catholic/Christian or any other formulaic religion.

1984 IS depressing, but for good reason. It is a truly amazing piece of work, and probably the most important and mind-blowing ever to be written.

Just finishing Birdsong...
backdrifter
AG Staff Writer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought Jack Kerouac - On The Road on a whim. I'll not have chance to read it for a few weeks, but any opinions on it?
Aimless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about three quarters of the way through Haruki Murakami's 'Wind-up Bird Chronicle.' I would have finished it by now, but I let a friend borrow it when they had time to kill and I've yet to get it back.

'The DaVinci Code' has been sitting on my bedside table for weeks. To be honest, I can't really be bothered to read it after inadvertently watching an hour-long program on how poorly researched it was.
Baz@rr
AltGaming Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Zed wrote:
Err.
Any of the watchmen series (Men at Arms, feet of clay, and the fifth elephant are my favourites) are awesome, as are any of the rincewind ones. Especially The Lost Continent.

Aaah, the Ankh Morpork Night Watch...

I played Carrot in a couple of plays a few years ago. "Guards! Guards!" and "Men at Arms". Had to dye my usually dark brown hair a shocking shade of orange. Took two bleachings before I could get the dye in. Looked absolutely ridiculous.

On the book front I recommend anything by Christopher Brookmyre, especially "A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away" and "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night".

Oh, and hello everyone, I'm new here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AltGaming Forum Index -> General Off-Topic'ness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: